Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

Representative payee for a minor child

Representative payee for a minor child

September 17, 2012 by Guest

Thank you for your reply. I don't think I asked the question clearly - SSA states that when a minor turns 18, the benefits will be paid in their name. My question is, would that be true in the case where there is a rep payee already established? Or would it be necessary to pursue an official determination of incompetence in handling his funds to continue as rep payee?

SSA further states that: "A representative payee who is no longer serving as a payee must return savings or other investments and any interest earned on the funds to us. SSA will reissue the returned funds to either a new representative payee or to a beneficiary currently receiving direct payment." Would that apply in the situation (mother/child) as previously referenced?

Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended