Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
Application for Benefits or Medicare Protection
103.1 Where do you file claims for benefits and applications for Medicare?
You may file claims for Social Security benefits, or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and apply for Medicare protection and extra help with Medicare prescription drug costs in person or by telephone (1-800-772-1213) with any Social Security office. (See §2501 for information about the extra help with Medicare prescription drug costs.) You may also file for Retirement, Spouse's and Disability benefits and for extra help with Medicare prescription drug costs on the Internet at: www.socialsecurity.gov. We provide you with the proper application and enrollment forms. If you need assistance, our employees will help you fill out the forms. If you need an interpreter to communicate with us, we will provide one upon request, free of charge. SSA has a nationwide contract for telephone interpreter services in more than 150 languages and dialects. In some cases, you may file an application for food stamps at any Social Security office if you are applying for or are receiving SSI. (See §2108)
103.2 Where do you file your claims if you live outside the United States?
For information on how to obtain services when you are outside the United States, see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/foreign/.
Last Revised: Feb. 4, 2008
- Filing an Application
- Where Applications May Be Filed
- Eligibility for Extra Help with Prescription Drug Costs
- Prescription Drug Benefits Provided
- Duty to Report Certain Events
- Overview of the Appeals Process
- Medicare Resources
- Other benefits you may be able to get
- Description of Extra Help Available for Medicare Prescription Drug Costs
- You may be able to get other help
- Help for some low-income people
Ads - Also Recommended