Not affiliated with the government
What is done if you receive more money than you are entitled?
If you cash a check to which you are not entitled, a refund is ordinarily required. Often the program service center withholds later checks to make up for the overpayment. However, if this is not done you must refund the money.
Contact any convenient Social Security office to find out if a refund is necessary. If so, make the refund to the Social Security office, or program service center that handled the claim. Refunds may be made by check, money order, or other draft payable to the Social Security Administration. Be sure to show your Social Security claim number so that it can be associated with the proper claims folder.
Last Revised: March 15, 2001
- Refunds of Overpayments
- Program Service Center Functions
- How are claims processed by the Social Security office?
- Defeat the Purpose as a Factor in Waiver
- Work Credits and Eligibility for Social Security Disability
- Returning Checks To The Social Security Office
- What is NOT income for SSI purposes?
- not happy
- What can my mother use my money for?
- Warning to payees for child turning 18
- Reporting to Social Security
Ads - Also Recommended