Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

When are retirement benefits NOT payable (or only partly payable)?

303. When are retirement benefits NOT payable (or only partly payable)?

Retirement benefits may not be payable or may be payable only in part if you meet any of the conditions below:

  1. You are under retirement age and earn more than the exempt amount (see §1803);

  2. You are under full retirement age and work outside the U.S. for more than 45 hours in a month (see §1823);

  3. You are in the U.S. and are neither a citizen nor an alien lawfully present;

  4. You have been deported or removed from the U.S. (see §1841);

  5. You are an alien who is outside the U.S. for more than six consecutive calendar months and do not meet an exception to the alien nonpayment provisions as defined in Section 202(t) of the Social Security Act. For information on payments while you are outside the U.S., see;

  6. You are living in a U.S. Treasury restricted country where it is not permitted to mail U.S. Government payments (see §1848). For information on payments while you are outside the U.S., see;

  7. You are living in an SSA restricted country and do not meet an exception (see §1848). For information on payments while you are outside the U.S., see;

  8. You have waived the right to benefits because you are a member of a recognized religious group that is opposed to insurance. In this situation, you must have been granted exemption from paying the self-employment tax (see §§1128-1129); or

  9. You are confined within the U.S. in a jail, prison, or other penal institution or correctional facility because you have been convicted of a felony.

(The conditions regarding nonpayment of benefits are explained in Chapter 18.)

Last Revised: Sep. 10, 2007

Sponsored Links



Change old acc# to new acc#

November 14, 2008 by Guest


Changing Direct Deposit Account Number

November 14, 2008 by David Luhman

If you move your account, call Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), and a Social Security representative will change your direct deposit information. Open the new account and make sure your deposits are going to the new bank, savings and loan or credit union before you close the old account.


February 11, 2009 by Guest

I am turing 62 in April 2009. I planned for my retirement and part of the plan included approx $800.00 I was to receive from Social Security. I received a yearly letter from SS each year saying I would receive Approx $800.00 a month at age 62. When I applied at the SS Office, they told me it will be reduced to 500.00. My question is, why did SS lie to me by wrtting me and telling me I would get $800.00. then reduce it to $500.00. How can a person possible plan for his or her retirement if it is based on lies? The people at the SS Office blamed Ronald Regean. They told me that he made them lie to me.

Benefit estimator based on earnings record

February 12, 2009 by David Luhman

Here is a retirement benefit calculator which makes estimates based on your actual earnings record :

You can also appeal decisions. See here :

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended