Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
306.1 What is the definition of "spouse" for Social Security purposes?
You are considered a spouse for Social Security purposes if you meet the conditions in either (A) or (B) below at the time you apply for benefits:
Under applicable law:
You and the worker were validly married; or
You would have the status of a husband or a wife with respect to the taking of intestate personal property;
You entered into a ceremonial marriage with the worker that was invalid under applicable law because of an impediment resulting from a prior marriage or its dissolution; or a defect in the procedure followed in connection with the alleged marriage, provided:
You married the worker in good faith, not knowing of any defect at the time of the marriage;
You were living with the worker in the same household when he or she applied for benefits (unless you were divorced from the worker at the time); and
For benefits payable prior to January 1991, there is no other person who is or was entitled to monthly insurance benefits on the worker's earnings record as his or her spouse and who still has status as the worker's spouse.
306.2 What is "applicable law"?
Applicable law is the law that would be applied by the courts of:
The State where the insured person was domiciled when you filed for benefits; or
The law applied by the District of Columbia if the insured person was not domiciled in any State when you filed for benefits.
Last Revised: March, 2001
- Widow(er) Defined
- When do spouse's and divorced spouse's insurance benefits end?
- When is a child presumed "dependent"?
- When are you entitled to divorced spouse's insurance benefits?
- Social Security Benefits Payable
- Parent Defined
- When is a spouse entitled to spouse's insurance benefits on the worker's Social Security record?
- When do father's or mother's insurance benefits end?
- Exception To Nine-Month Duration-of-Marriage Requirement
- When is a parent of a deceased person entitled to parent's benefits?
- What is the definition of "child" for Social Security purposes?
- Termination of Widow(er)'s Insurance Benefits
Ads - Also Recommended