Not affiliated with the government
When is a child dependent upon a stepparent?
A child is dependent upon a stepparent if the stepparent was contributing at least one-half the child's support at the applicable time (see §337). A stepchild entitled before July 1996 could meet an alternate requirement that he or she must have been "living with" the worker.
Last Revised: Feb. 6, 2003
- Does a child have to be dependent on the worker to qualify for benefits?
- When can a dependent grandchild or step-grandchild be considered the grandparent's "child"?
- What is the definition of "child" for Social Security purposes?
- Stepchild-Stepparent Relationship
- When A Child Must Be Dependent Upon Insured Parent
- Who is entitled to child's insurance benefits?
- When is a surviving child entitled to child's insurance benefits?
- When is a child presumed "dependent"?
- Who is a "child" for Social Security purposes?
- Inheritance Rights of 'Equitably Adopted' Children
- Deeming from a Parent to a Child Under Age 18
- When is a child dependent upon a grandparent or step-grandparent?
Ads - Also Recommended