Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
Special Monthly Payment at 72
346.1 Who can receive a special monthly cash payment?
You may be entitled to a special monthly cash payment if you meet the conditions below:
You turned 72 before 1972 (if you turned 72 between 1968 and 1971, you must have earned a specified number of credits (see §211));
You are a resident of one of the 50 States, the Northern Mariana Islands, or the District of Columbia;
You are either:
A U.S. citizen; or
An alien lawfully admitted to the U.S. and have lived in the U.S. continuously for the five-year period immediately before the month you filed the application;
You have properly filed an application for the special monthly cash payment (see §347); and
You do not qualify for a regular Social Security benefit under the fully insured provision discussed in §202.
The special monthly payment ends with the month before the month you die.
346.2 What is the amount of the benefit?
If you are entitled to the special monthly payment, you will receive a monthly benefit of $255.50. If your spouse is also entitled to the special monthly payment, he or she will also receive $255.50. The $255.50 amount was first payable for December 2006. These amounts may be increased when a cost-of-living increase in benefits is established. (See §719.)
Your special monthly payment amount is reduced by the amount of any periodic benefit under a governmental pension system for which you are eligible. (See §348.)
Last Revised: Feb. 2, 2007
- Entitlement to Retirement Insurance Benefit
- Fully Insured Status Defined
- Can special monthly payments be made for the months before the application was filed?
- Special Payments and Government Pensions
- Entitlement to Disabled Worker's Benefits
- Summary Chart of Requirements for Insured Status
- Social Security Benefits Payable
- Aliens Outside the U.S. for Six Months or More
- Computation of Payments
- Special Insured Status-Disabled Before Age 31
- Amount of Retirement Insurance Benefit
- Benefits Payable To Survivors of Deceased Insured Worker
Ads - Also Recommended