Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
Benefits Payable To Survivors of Deceased Insured Worker
400.1 What cash benefits are paid to you as a survivor of an insured worker?
When the insured worker dies, your cash benefits as an eligible survivor may be paid as follows:
Your benefits rates are figured as a percentage of the deceased worker's primary insurance amount. (See §700.)
400.2 What conditions affect survivor benefits?
The following conditions may affect your benefits as a survivor of an insured worker:
If the deceased worker was insured under the Railroad Retirement Act, your benefits may be payable under that Act rather than under the Social Security Act. (See Chapter 23.);
If you or the insured worker was granted a tax exemption as a member of a religious group, whose members oppose insurance plans such as Social Security, you may not be eligible for survivor benefits. If you are eligible, your benefits may be smaller (See §1128.);
If you were convicted of the felonious and intentional homicide of the worker, you cannot become entitled to monthly benefits or the lump-sum death payment payable on the deceased's Social Security earnings record. (See §1722.); and
If you are a minor convicted of intentionally causing your parent's death, you may be denied survivor benefits on the earnings record of your parent.
Last Revised: March, 2001
- When is a widow(er) entitled to father's or mother's insurance benefits?
- When do father's or mother's insurance benefits end?
- When is a surviving child entitled to child's insurance benefits?
- Retirement Insurance Benefits
- Who is entitled to child's insurance benefits?
- Social Security Benefits Payable
- Do your retirement insurance benefits end when you die?
- When is a surviving divorced parent entitled to father's or mother's insurance benefits?
- Amount of Parent's Insurance Benefit
- When is a parent of a deceased person entitled to parent's benefits?
- When do spouse's and divorced spouse's insurance benefits end?
- Entitlement to Disabled Worker's Benefits
Ads - Also Recommended