Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
Amount of Widow(er)'s Insurance Benefit
407.1 How is the widow(er)'s benefit rate computed?
The widow(er)'s insurance benefit rate equals 100 percent of the deceased worker's primary insurance amount plus any additional amount the deceased worker was entitled to because of delayed retirement credits. (See §720.)
407.2 When is the benefit rate less?
Your widow(er)'s insurance benefit payable may be less than what was computed above if any of the conditions below apply:
You are also entitled to a smaller retirement insurance or disability insurance benefit (only the difference between the larger widow(er)'s insurance benefit and the other benefit is payable as the widow(er)'s insurance benefit; however, this amount is payable in addition to the other benefit);
You choose to receive and are paid a reduced widow(er)'s benefit for months before you reach retirement age. A reduced benefit rate is payable for as long as you are entitled to widow(er)'s benefits. For a possible adjustment at age 62 and retirement age, see §728;
Note: Entitlement to this reduced rate may result in a reduction in any disability or retirement insurance benefit to which you may later become entitled.
You are caring for your deceased spouse's child and:
The child is under age 16 or disabled;
The child is entitled to child's insurance benefits; and
You have not reached retirement age. In this case, your widow(er)'s benefits are not reduced for those months below 75 percent of the deceased spouse's primary insurance amount; or
The deceased worker was entitled to a reduced retirement benefit for the month before the month he or she died.
Last Revised: March, 2001
- Spouse's Insurance Benefit
- Amount of Parent's Insurance Benefit
- Amount of Retirement Insurance Benefit
- Amount of Child's Insurance Benefit
- Amount of Father's or Mother's Insurance Benefit
- Amount of Disabled Worker's Benefit
- Reduction of Benefit Rate
- Basic Reduction Formulas
- Adjustment of Reduction Factor at FRA
- When do father's or mother's insurance benefits end?
- When is a widow(er) entitled to father's or mother's insurance benefits?
- Termination of Widow(er)'s Insurance Benefits
Ads - Also Recommended