Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

When are child's insurance benefit NOT payable?

413. When are child's insurance benefit NOT payable?

The child's insurance benefit may not be payable for some months if any of the conditions below are met:

  1. The child works and earns more than the yearly exempt amount (see §1803);

  2. The child works outside the U.S. for more than 45 hours in a month (see §1823);

  3. The child is an alien who is outside the U.S. for more than six calendar months in a row. For information on payments while outside the U.S., see;

  4. The insured parent had been deported, and the child is an alien who is outside the U.S. For information on payments while outside the U.S., see;

  5. The disabled child, age 18 or over, refuses to accept vocational rehabilitation services without good cause;

    Note: The child's insurance benefit may be payable for all months while the disabled child is still under age 19, if a full-time student, as defined in §344.

  6. The disabled child, age 18 or over, is married to a retirement insurance beneficiary whose benefit is not payable because of work activity;

  7. The disabled child, age 18 or over, is married to a disability insurance beneficiary whose benefit is not payable because of refusal to accept vocational rehabilitation services without good cause;

  8. The child is confined within the U.S. in a jail, prison, or other penal institution or correctional facility for conviction of a felony;

    Note: The benefit may still be payable if the child is participating in a rehabilitation program that has been specifically approved for the child by a court of law. It must be expected that the child will be able to engage in substantial work upon release within a reasonable time.

  9. The child does not have a Social Security Number, and the child or his or her parent, guardian, or person acting on the child's behalf refuses to apply for one; or

  10. The child is in the United States and is neither a U.S. citizen nor an alien lawfully present.

The conditions regarding nonpayment of benefits are discussed in more detail in Chapter 18.

Last Revised: Jul. 12, 2005

Sponsored Links




October 5, 2008 by Guest

Is a child able to have his or her college paid for when the father is deceased?

`Is this Fraud?

May 7, 2011 by Guest

My son has one legitamite child (H Harris)` recieveing social security beneifits. There are also twin girls in Arkansas who recieve his benifits also. He has no contact with these girls at all and to put it bluntly she was dating his friend before my son had a one night stand with her. There could be 2 differerent fathers other than my son.Is there any way that we can have DNA test ran on the twin girls. We would love for them to be our flesh and blood but there is always this nagging feeling. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you P.S. Harris

Determination of paternity

May 8, 2011 by David Luhman

We're not qualified to comment on this meaningfully. You may wish to use legal help for this.

For what it's worth, determination of paternity is likely dependent on state law. Here is a list of paternity law as it relates to the SSA :!openview&restricttocategory=15010


December 5, 2011 by Guest

My father died when i was sister and i both received his SS checks until we were 18. I continued my education at a community college but stopped receiving his SS checks.Maybe because my mother didn't send the info that i was still in school?either there a way to see if i have backed up checks for attending college those couple years..or is it too late now that Im 24?

No Social Security benefits for able-bodied children in college

December 5, 2011 by David Luhman

There are no Social Security benefits for children in college who are not disabled.

Losing benefits when child turns 16

December 7, 2011 by Guest

College students not getting benefits. It would be nice if they could its so hard attending college and finding money to pay for it. We should get a break for them attending college.
I do have a question it seems that my son when he turns 16 they are taking my monies from me and I can't understand why I am at the present time making a call for an appointment to find out.why he is still attending school. Happy Holidays

Losing Social Security benefits when a child turns 16

December 7, 2011 by David Luhman

Sounds like you are receiving benefits because you are watching (taking care of your child). If you are receiving benefits because you have a child in your care, the date your benefits will stop may be different than the child's.

If the child is not disabled, your benefits will end when he or she turns 16. Benefits for the child generally stop when your child reaches age 18 unless your child is a student or disabled.

I presume the logic is that at age 16, the adult no longer needs to closely watch the child, and the adult can find a job if needed.

what other reasons would monies stop

October 17, 2012 by Guest

I am disabled and my daughter's father receives SS monies for her on "my behalf". She is now 17, not to be 18 for four more months, and still attending high school.

Her father has recently told her that the checks are no longer coming as of next month (3 months before she turns 18, and several more months before she is graduated from high school) but refuses to give her a reason.

She has been residing with her (paternal) grandmother, but I have not reported it, although I had discussed doing so if he did not report the changes himself. He has been refusing to give her or her grandmother the money for her care.

I believe it may be possible that he is lying about no longer receiving the money so that he does not have to pay and will not get reported.

How can we find out what truly happened? Last time I tried to discuss the benefits that he is getting for her, I was told by the SS office that this information was not allowed to be discussed with me? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Possible misuse of funds by representative payee

October 17, 2012 by David Luhman

In general, child benefits end at age 18 unless you are disabled or a full-time student attending a secondary (elementary) school, home school, alternate school, General Education Degree program, or online school. So it sounds as if your child should still be receiving benefits.

It also sounds as if the father (the representative payee) may be misusing funds sent to him (for the child's benefit).

The following link will help determine the representative payee's responsibilities and how to report a possible violation.

benefits for my son

November 26, 2012 by Guest

my son was born while I was still wed to my late husband who had left me and my daughter. He died soon after and never acknowledged my son. Is my son qualified to receive my late husbands benefits if he isn't blood related to him?

Paternity and survivor benefits

November 26, 2012 by David Luhman

This is a legal issue that I'm not qualified to answer. The answer likely will depend on paternity law for your state. If the boy's biological father is still alive, and your late husband did not acknowledge the boy as his own child, I'm not sure the boy would qualify for survivor benefits.

However, your daughter may qualify for survivor benefits (as the daughter of the deceased).

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended