Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
When do father's or mother's insurance benefits end?
Your father's or mother's insurance benefits end if any of the conditions below are met:
There are no children of the deceased worker under age 16 or disabled (as defined in §324) who are entitled to a child's insurance benefit;
If you are a surviving divorced father or mother, you have no natural or legally adopted child under age 16 or disabled who is entitled to a child's insurance benefit on the deceased worker's earnings record;
You become entitled to retirement insurance benefits in an amount equal to or greater than three-fourths (.75) of the spouse's primary insurance amount;
You marry; or
Note: If you marry a person entitled to retirement, disability, divorced spouse's, widow(er)'s, father's, mother's, parent's, or childhood disability benefits, see §1852. If the subsequent marriage ends, you may be re-entitled (see §417).
For benefits payable before January 1991:
You were qualified for benefits only under the conditions explained in §402 (B); and
Your monthly benefits are awarded on the same earnings record to another individual who either:
Is validly married to the worker; or
Has the same status under State law with respect to the taking of intestate personal property as would a widow(er).
You are not entitled to father's or mother's insurance benefits for the month in which any of the terminating events above occur.
Last Revised: Feb. 4, 2008
- When is a surviving divorced parent entitled to father's or mother's insurance benefits?
- When is a widow(er) entitled to father's or mother's insurance benefits?
- When do spouse's and divorced spouse's insurance benefits end?
- When do parent's insurance benefits end?
- Termination of Widow(er)'s Insurance Benefits
- When is a widow entitled to widow(er)'s insurance benefits?
- When is a surviving child entitled to child's insurance benefits?
- Who is entitled to child's insurance benefits?
- Amount of Father's or Mother's Insurance Benefit
- Child in Care Requirement
- When can you receive widow(er)'s benefits based on disability?
- When is a spouse entitled to spouse's insurance benefits on the worker's Social Security record?
Ads - Also Recommended