Not affiliated with the government
502.1 What is the "waiting period?"
The waiting period consists of five (5) full calendar months in a row. It begins with the earliest full calendar month (but not more than 17 months before the month you filed the application) that you:
Are disabled; and
Meet the disability insured status requirements for benefit purposes. (See §207.)
You are not entitled to benefits for any month in the waiting period.
502.2 When is the waiting period NOT required?
No waiting period is required if any of the following conditions are met:
You were previously entitled to a period of disability and became disabled again within five years following the month your previous disability ended; or
You are entitled to Childhood Disability Benefits; or
You only filed for SSI benefits.
Last Revised: Jan. 30, 2006
- When may you establish a period of disability?
- When do disabled widow(er)'s benefits begin?
- When can you receive widow(er)'s benefits based on disability?
- Entitlement to Disabled Worker's Benefits
- When does your period of disability end?
- When is a child entitled to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits based on disability?
- When does your period of disability begin?
Ads - Also Recommended