Not affiliated with the government
Copying the Contents of the File
When a claim is denied, the SSA field office stores the file for at least 65 days in case you appeal the decision. Your representative can call the local SSA office to arrange to copy the file. The location and phone of where your file will be is listed on the denial notice. The information in your file may give your representative a clearer idea of how the decision was derived on your claim. Once you file the request for reconsideration, the claim file is returned to the Disability Determination Service. Your representative should arrange to copy your file before filing the reconsideration appeal request.
Last Revised: Jul. 26, 2005
- Filing a "Request for Reconsideration"
- Representatives' Fees
- U.S. District Court
- Overview of the Appeals Process
- How to Submit a Late "Request for Reconsideration"
- Filing the Reconsideration Request on Time
- What to do if You Are Found "Not Disabled"
- Appeals Council Review
- Submitting a "Request for Reconsideration"
- Right to Withdraw Application
- Communicating with DDS after Filing a "Request for Reconsideration"
- When to File Applications
Ads - Also Recommended