Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

Are established periods of disability excluded when benefits are computed?

711. Are established periods of disability excluded when benefits are computed?

Yes. We must exclude an established period of disability in figuring your benefit unless the exclusion of the period results in fewer benefits or a loss of insured status. This exclusion applies to all computation formulas. (See Chapter 5 for the requirements for establishing a period of disability and for the beginning and ending dates of this period.)

Last Revised: Sep. 22, 2003

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links


Moving to California

October 1, 2009 by Guest

When I move to california I was told that the SSD payments (I get on the 3rd) will be greater. Is this true?

Do Social Security disability benefits vary by state?

October 1, 2009 by David Luhman

I have not seen evidence of a possible change in Social Security disability payments when moving to another state. I am almost certain retirement benefits are a function of your work and earnings history -- not where you live.

It is, however, possible, benefits from state agencies may vary from state to state. Check the relevant state agency for details.

Here are some resources regarding moving that may be useful :


October 12, 2011 by Guest

my daughters biological father owes 32,000 in back child support. He was recently awarded benefits. How does it work when he gets a big settlement, does any of that money come to my daughter? Also will she get her own check? His name is G E L and last known residence was in Morgantown. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
C L. C

Garnishment of Social Security benefits

October 12, 2011 by David Luhman

I would contact Social Security directly for this. It is possible to garnish Social Security benefits to enforce child support or alimony obligations.

Your child may also get benefits if he or she is your biological child, adopted child or dependent stepchild.
To get benefits, a child must have a parent who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits.

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended