Not affiliated with the government
Public Transportation Systems
1013.1 Are public transportation system employees covered under Section 218 agreements?
Work you do for a public transportation system that is operated by a State or political subdivision of a State may be covered under a Section 218 agreement (see §1000.2).
1013.2 Are public transportation system employees covered under Social Security?
Generally, public transportation work is compulsorily covered under Social Security where the following conditions exist:
The transportation system was acquired from private ownership after 1950; and
No general retirement system became applicable to the employees at the time it was acquired.
Last Revised: Oct. 12, 2005
- What types of work are not covered by Section 218 Agreements?
- Social Security Coverage for State and Local Government Employees
- Retirement System Coverage Groups
- Retirement System Defined
- Police Officers and Firefighters Not Covered by a Retirement System
- Effective Date of Section 218 Agreement
- Is work performed as an intern for a hospital covered by Social Security?
- Exclusions from Trade or Business
- Social Security Coverage for Police Officers and Firefighters Under a Retirement System
- Absolute Coverage Groups
- Public Office Holders
- Rehired Annuitants
Ads - Also Recommended