Not affiliated with the government
Police Officers and Firefighters Not Covered by a Retirement System
1016.1 What if police officer and firefighter positions are not covered by a retirement system?
These positions are generally covered as part of the political entity's absolute coverage group (see §1004) when the political entity is covered under the State's 218 agreement (see §1000.2). The absolute coverage group includes other city or town employees whose positions are not covered by a public retirement system.
If police or firefighter positions are covered as part of an absolute coverage group and later become covered under a retirement system, Section 218 coverage continues.
1016.2 Can ineligibles in police officer or firefighter positions be covered with an absolute coverage or retirement system coverage group?
Ineligibles in police officer or firefighter positions cannot be covered as part of an absolute coverage group or a retirement system coverage group (see §1006).
Last Revised: Oct. 17, 2005
- Absolute Coverage Groups
- Social Security Coverage for Police Officers and Firefighters Under a Retirement System
- Retirement System Coverage Groups
- Effective Date of Section 218 Agreement
- Divided Retirement Systems
- Retirement System Defined
- Social Security and Medicare Coverage Under a Section 218 Agreement
- Social Security Coverage for State and Local Government Employees
- Rehired Annuitants
- Public Transportation Systems
- Does the State have the option of including or excluding certain types of services under a Section 218 Agreement?
- Federal Court Reporters
Ads - Also Recommended