Not affiliated with the government
Procedure for Correcting Earnings Record
1420.1 What is the process for correcting earnings records, and when should it be done?
To correct your Social Security Earnings record, get in touch with the nearest Social Security office or call SSA's toll free number 1-800-772-1213. Do this when your earnings statement shows that earnings have not been correctly reported or credited. It will be helpful when you contact SSA to have any information such as forms W-2, paystubs, etc. available.
1420.2 How does the SSA assist employees with correcting their record?
We do several things to help correct your record. We check to see if any missing reports of earnings can be found. If we can not find the records, we write your employer to get a statement of your earnings.
Last Revised: March, 2001
- Checking Individual Earnings Records
- Recording Earnings Credits
- Earnings Record
- Earnings Information Available from Social Security Records
- How do I make sure my records are accurate?
- Evidence of Wages
- Where are earnings records maintained?
- Self-Employment Tax
- What happens if a child is entitled to benefits on more than one earnings record at the same time?
- When is a child automatically entitled on a second earnings record?
- Can wages be credited to your record even if you cannot obtain any evidence of wages?
- Time Limit for Correcting Earnings Records
Ads - Also Recommended