Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
Where Applications May Be Filed
1505.1 Where do you file your application for Social Security benefits?
File your application for Social Security benefits:
At a Social Security office or with an authorized Social Security employee (Retirement, Spouse and Disability applications may be filed on the Internet at http://www.socialsecurity.gov);
At a U.S. Foreign Service post if you are not a resident of the U.S. or could lose benefits because of extended absence from the U.S. (in the Philippines, applications may be filed at the U.S. Veterans Affairs Regional Office in Manila);
In certain cases, with the Railroad Retirement Board or the Department of Veterans Affairs (see §1506); or
In certain cases, with a provider of hospital services that is participating in the Social Security hospital insurance program. This provision protects you if you are:
Age 65 or older;
Eligible for hospital insurance benefits; and
Admitted to a hospital for inpatient services without ever having filed an application with us.
Note: There is no similar provision for medical insurance. These applications can only be filed at specific times. (See Chapter 24.)
1505.2 Where do you file your application for SSI benefits?
You may file your application for SSI benefits:
At a Social Security office or with an authorized Social Security employee;
At another Federal or State office with someone designated by us to receive applications, or
With another person designated by us to receive applications.
1505.3 Where do you file your application for extra help with Medicare prescription drug costs?
See Chapter 26.
Last Revised: Oct. 23, 2007
- Filing an Application
- Application Filed with Department of Veterans Affairs or Railroad Retirement Board
- What are the requirements for an application to be considered valid?
- When Your Application is Considered Filed
- Who Signs Applications
- Right to Withdraw Application
- Result of Delay in Filing for Benefits
- Eligibility for Extra Help with Prescription Drug Costs
- Entitlement to Retirement Insurance Benefit
- Who is entitled to child's insurance benefits?
- Purposes of Social Security
- What is other benefit income?
Ads - Also Recommended