Not affiliated with the government
Completing the Application Form
1511.1 Do you need to fill out all questions on the application form?
You should answer all questions on the application form. If you do not know the answer to a question, write "unknown". If you do not answer a question needed to establish your right to benefits, we cannot award benefits.
1511.2 How do you sign the application if you cannot write?
If you cannot write, signature by mark on the signature line is acceptable. The signature by mark must be witnessed as indicated on the application form. See §1500.2 which explains SSA's signature alternative to the pen-and-ink signature or mark which has been implemented for teleclaims and in-person claims.
Last Revised: Jul. 1, 2004
- Filing an Application
- Who Signs Applications
- When is a widow(er) entitled to father's or mother's insurance benefits?
- Written Statement Considered As Application
- When is a parent of a deceased person entitled to parent's benefits?
- When Your Application is Considered Filed
- Result of Delay in Filing for Benefits
Ads - Also Recommended