Social Security Payment Checks |

When is a new representative payee selected?

1613. When is a new representative payee selected?

A new representative payee is selected if the current representative payee:

  1. Dies;

  2. Has been determined to have misused the beneficiary's benefits as found by SSA or a court of competent jurisdiction;

  3. Is unable to manage the benefit payments;

  4. No longer wishes to serve as payee;

  5. Fails to use and account for the payments properly;

  6. Is no longer responsible for the care or welfare of the beneficiary; or

  7. Is otherwise no longer suitable to serve as payee.

Last Revised: Aug. 2, 2007

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links



August 24, 2011 by Guest

My mother does not want to be the payee for her older brother whom is now mentally challenged. She needs to know who to call about finding him a payee in Fort Myers, FL. She's too worried she won't be able to handle the responsibilities of a payee for him cause someone told her that she would have to the taxes for him. she was also told she has to account for ALL that he buys with his money. Unless she goes with him EVERY time he spends money, how would one do this. Take in to afctor the reality that he will NOT remember to get a receipt every time he shops or buys something.

Representative payee duties and appointment

August 24, 2011 by David Luhman

You can see a guide for representative payees here :

Each year, Social Security will ask you to complete a form to account for the benefits you have received. Social Security will mail you a form. You can either fill out the form and return it to Social Security or go online at to file the report.

As a representative payee, you are responsible for keeping records and reporting on how you spend the benefits by completing a Representative Payee Report (Form SSA-623, SSA-6230 or SSA-6233). The appropriate form will be mailed to you about once a year. You also can file the report online at

I don't believe SSA audits would be as strict as you imply. I don't believe you must produce a receipt for every nickel spent for the individual, but you must demonstrate the vast majority of money received was spent (or saved) for the benefit of the individual.

Any number of individuals (relatives or friends) or institutions (nursing homes, non-profits) can serve as a representative payee.


March 27, 2012 by Guest

how will i know i won't be my daughters payee anymore????

Change in representative payee status

March 27, 2012 by David Luhman

I would contact Social Security directly (1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days) for this.

change in representative payee status

October 12, 2012 by Guest

I called the 1-800-772-1213 number; and after being on hold for over 10 minutes, the representative said to call our local office for this information.

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended