Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

What constitutes evidence of support?

1724. What constitutes evidence of support?

Evidence of support includes your statement and whatever other evidence may be necessary to prove your statement concerning your support. Make sure your statement:

  1. Is on the form we give you. The form is designed to bring out all the information about your total income from all sources during the appropriate period;

  2. Includes the cost of your support during the same period; and

  3. Shows the amount and frequency of your support payments.

Last Revised: March, 2001


Years missing from my earnings records

March 15, 2012 by Guest

All of my Ohio work years are missing. I moved twice since 1978 and had a name change due to marriage.

What forms do I need? How can I retrieve my work history?
I don't have pay stubs from any of my jobs, however, my three teaching years can be proven by the school system.

Thank you,

Correcting mistake in Social Security earnings record

March 16, 2012 by David Luhman

You can use Social Security's Retirement Estimator for a retirement estimate based on real time access to your earnings record. The secure log-in requires your name, Social Security number, date & place of birth and mother's maiden name.

If you discover earnings missing from your record, the first thing you should do is find some proof of those earnings. This proof could be:

  • A W-2 form (Wage and Tax Statement);
  • A tax return;
  • A wage stub or pay slip;
  • Your own wage records; or
  • Any other written documents showing that you worked.

If you cannot find any written documents that show your earnings, try to remember the following facts and write them down:

  • Where you worked;
  • The name of your employer;
  • The dates you worked;
  • How much you earned; and
  • The name and Social Security number you used when you worked.

Then contact Social Security (1-800-772-1213) with this information.

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended