Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
Evidence of Wages
1726.1 When is evidence of wages needed?
You need to provide evidence of the amount of wages paid to you and the period they were paid if:
The wages are not recorded in the earnings record maintained by us or the Railroad Retirement Board; or
There is reason to believe that the amounts recorded are not correct.
1726.2 What constitutes evidence of your wages?
Evidence must be based directly on your employer's records, if available, and may consist of:
Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement);
Notice from us to you showing wages credited to your earnings record, e.g., Form SSA-L987 (Social Security Earnings Information);
SSA-7011 (Statement of Employer) used in claims and earnings discrepancy cases as evidence of non-agricultural wages, if signed by employer or custodian of employer's records;
SSA-1002 (Statement of Agricultural Employer) used in claims and earnings discrepancy cases as evidence of agricultural wages, if signed by employer or custodian of employer's records;
Any other statement signed by an employer;
Statement signed by custodian of employer's records;
Certification by SSA of contents of employer's records;
Certification by SSA of contents of employer tax returns in possession of IRS;
Certification by SSA of report of IRS audit of employer's records; or
SSA-4500-U6 (Federal Determination of Error in State's Wage Reports) when signed by an authorized State or local official.
Last Revised: Jul. 1, 2004
- Union Records
- Can wages be credited to your record even if you cannot obtain any evidence of wages?
- What tax return forms do employers use?
- Personal Records of Worker
- What Internal Revenue Service publications provide information on employer tax payments?
- Statements of Earnings for Employees
- How do we verify your unsigned employer's wage statements?
- What evidence can you submit if your employer's records are not available?
- Do findings by State unemployment compensation agencies constitute evidence of wages?
- Earnings Reports Filed by Employers
- When can earnings records be revised after the time limit?
- Statement by Person Knowing About Employment
Ads - Also Recommended