Not affiliated with the government
Aliens Outside the U.S. for Six Months or More
1843.1 If an alien lives outside the U.S. for more than six months, how are benefits affected?
If you are an alien and you live outside the U.S. (as defined in §1824) for six full calendar months in a row, you may not receive monthly benefits effective with the seventh month, unless you meet one of the exceptions listed in §1845. This rule applies if you are a retirement and disability insurance beneficiary. It also applies to those entitled to benefits on your earnings record. For information on payments while you are outside the U.S., see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html.
1843.2 Are benefits of others entitled to benefits on your record affected if you live outside the U.S. for more than six months?
Each beneficiary is treated individually. The suspension of one beneficiary's payments does not cause suspension of payments to any other beneficiary.
1843.3 How is the lump-sum death payment affected?
No lump-sum death payment is paid on the record of a worker who dies outside the U.S. if a monthly benefit was not (or would not have been) payable for the month before the month of death because of the worker's absence from the U.S.
1843.4 Is an alien entitled to special age 72 benefits?
To be entitled to special age 72 payments, an alien must have:
Been legally admitted for permanent residence in the U.S.; and
Resided in the U.S. continuously for five years.
Last Revised: Jul. 12, 2005
- When are your disabled worker's benefits NOT paid?
- When will you NOT receive a lump-sum death payment?
- When are retirement benefits NOT payable (or only partly payable)?
- When are child's insurance benefit NOT payable?
- Special Monthly Payment at 72
- The Foreign Work Test
- When are you NOT charged for excess earnings?
- Entitlement to Disabled Worker's Benefits
- When are father's or mother's insurance benefits NOT payable?
- Retroactive Effect of Application
- Termination of Child's Insurance Benefits
- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
Ads - Also Recommended