Not affiliated with the government
Are there different types of cards?
The SSA issues three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name and Social Security number.
- The first type of card shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. They are issued it to:
- U.S. citizens; and
- People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.
- The second type of card shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” they issue this type of card to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.
- The third type of card shows your name and number and notes, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT.” They issue it to people from other countries:
- Who are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but with a valid nonwork reason for needing a Social Security number; or
- Who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.
- Obtaining A Social Security Card
- New Social Security Number or Card for Noncitizen with Visa
- How can I protect my Social Security number?
- What precautions should be taken when using SSNs and SSN cards?
- How do I replace my lost Social Security card?
- Social Security Numbers
- What if my card is lost or stolen?