Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?

If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship. Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship for new and replacement cards. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents.

Sponsored Links



change age

March 6, 2011 by Guest

I found birth certificate is 2 year older than written at refugee camp by mistake 30 years ago?
What step I can do to change?

Correcting birth date for Social Security

March 6, 2011 by David Luhman

Here is the standard procedure to correct your age :

  • Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
  • Show documents proving:
    • U.S. citizenship (if you have not previously established your citizenship);
    • Immigration status;
    • Age; and
    • Identity.
  • Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

Became a citizen

March 13, 2012 by Guest

I got a social security card that says valid for work only with INS Autorization, but I became a citizen in 2003 and never got a new one what should I do, I live in San Diego to which office should I go?

Changing citizenship status on my Social Security card

March 14, 2012 by David Luhman

To change the citizenship shown on SSA's records:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

* Identity
* U.S. citizenship

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. The SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Status changed

November 10, 2012 by Guest

My husband recently adjusted his legal status in the states, he was working under a different social for 8 years, can we transfer all his previous earnings to his new social?

Correcting earnings statement

November 11, 2012 by David Luhman

The following should be helpful for this :

Became a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)

February 22, 2013 by Guest

I just became an LPR. Can you please advise what I will need to do with my SSN so that it is updated and any restrictions/limitations removed?


Ads - Also Recommended