Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

SSI - Supplemental Security Income

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links


SSI Checks

June 1, 2011 by Guest

My sister has been getting SSI as a death benefit from the death of our mother, she;s been getting that since feb 05. Now in that timeframe my father has managed to spend 80% of that money on his property taxes. Since that money is for my sister and my father is living aboove his means what recourse does my sister have in this situation.

Representative payee abuse

June 1, 2011 by David Luhman

I suspect your sister is receiving Social Security survivor benefits, and not "SSI" which is intended for disabled folks with low incomes.

Here is a link regarding how a representative payee (likely your father) should use the funds he is entrusted with :

Auditory Processing Disorder

August 17, 2011 by Guest

I have been told that not all states have auditory processing disorder under the list of disabilities. Does the state of Alabama? I have this disorder and want to find out how to go about applying for SSI for this.

Auditory Processing Disorder (ADP) and disability

August 17, 2011 by David Luhman

I checked, but could not find anything in Social Security records regarding ADP. Although there is some variability in what Administrative Law Judges call a "disability", I have not seen state-by-state definitions of disability, at least for Social Security.

Note that the definition of disability under Social Security is fairly strict. You are considered disabled under Social Security rules if:

  • You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.


September 4, 2011 by Guest

My Social Security Card was stolen a couple of years ago. I had it in my purse because I had
just started a new job and needed to present it on the first day. I applied for a new card and did not realize till a year later that my name was spelled wrong on my card. The number was the same but my first name was spelled incorrectly. I have received a few calls this year from collection agencies asking for money thinking I am some Sandra C lady. I now have a new card with the correct name, but should I still be worried about identity theft, and if so who should I contact?

Kathryn from Las Vegas

Potential mistaken identity

September 4, 2011 by David Luhman

This doesn't sound like a case of identity theft, but you may want to take action (ex. check you credit report) similar to one who is the victim of identity theft.

The following will be useful :

You also may want to contact the SSA and ensure they have a proper record of your earnings for your future benefits.


September 20, 2011 by Guest

our family is thinking about moving. Is social security the same everywhere or different rules and regulations for each state???? my daughter use to get social security..

Social Security benefits and moving to another state

September 20, 2011 by David Luhman

In general, Social Security retirement and "normal" disability benefits do not change when you move to another state. However, SSI benefits can vary from state to state.

See these posts :

What's the difference?

October 24, 2011 by Guest

What's the difference between SSI disability and SSI Retirement? I was told my mom could only get telephone assistance if it was on disability but not retirement. She just turned 65 and is still disabled and in a nursing home. we faxed over the telephone assistance paper back in April and they just got back with us and told us the above. Why take six months to get back with us after numerous calls. Where they just waiting till she turned 65 to deny us? A little frustrated here!!!

Difference between SSI disability and SSI retirement

October 24, 2011 by David Luhman

SSI (not 'regular' Social Security) makes monthly payments to people who have low income and few resources and are:

  • Age 65 or older;
  • Blind; or
  • Disabled.

So one could say 'SSI disability' is for qualified low-income disabled folks, and 'SSI retirement' is for qualified low-income seniors.

I'm not sure what 'telephone assistance' means -- help with paying for telephone service for qualified individuals?? I'm unaware of a federal program to help subsidize telephone service in this manner. You may be describing a state program which I'm unfamiliar with.

Sorry :(

SSI benefits fror adult son

November 6, 2011 by Guest

My son is 32, developmentaly disabled due to a seizure disorder and lives at home. He received SSI when he was about 7-8 yrs old but had to many savings bonds to continue. He held a job for 10yrs but was laid off September 2009. He has used all of his resources (savings bonds and 401K). He is having trouble finding a new job with his limited skills and his unemployment will run out soon. What services can he apply for since he is physically able to work but mentally does not qualify for many positions?

SSI for adult son with mental disorder

November 7, 2011 by David Luhman

We are not experts in disability analysis, but your son may qualify for SSI disability based on a mental disorder.

This link may shed some light :

Independent Living Facility

November 15, 2011 by Guest

At 91 my mother moved into a Independent Living Facility and was told that when she was going to run out of funds that she could apply for SSI benefits to help with the rent as her Social Security check would not cover this. Is this correct and what is needed (or who to speak with) to get her assistance with this?

SSI for seniors

November 15, 2011 by David Luhman

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities with low income and assets.

Here is how you can apply for SSI :

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended