An Independent View of Social Security
The importance of Social Security survivors insurance
The loss of the family wage earner can be devastating, both emotionally and financially. Social Security helps by providing income for the families of workers who die. In fact, 98 of every 100 children could get benefits if a working parent dies. And Social Security pays more benefits to children than any other federal program.
This booklet gives you an overview of Social Security survivors benefits paid to the spouse and children of a worker who dies. This booklet is not intended to answer all the questions you may have. For more information about Social Security’s survivors program, visit our website or call our toll-free numbers.
- If you are working...what you need to know about survivors benefits
- survivors benefits for my 2 children
- When a relative dies...what you need to know about survivors benefits
- You may be able to get Social Security
- Child Benefit Qualifications
- SSI - Supplemental Security Income
- Benefits For Children Receiving SSI