Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

Social Security Handbook

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links


current payments I have made from my job.

October 21, 2008 by Theresa

I am employed by a church , when I got my yearly account info it was not correct.

Correct errors in your PEBES

October 21, 2008 by David Luhman

You can correct errors in your Personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate Statement (PEBES) upon request.

If there is any error or omission, contact Social Security by calling 1-800-772-1213. You should have your copy of W-2’s and self-employment tax returns.

Can I be covered by both SSI & SSD?

October 31, 2008 by Guest

I have become disabled slowly over the past 10yrs due to a chronic illness. I was advised to apply for both Disability and SSI when it became apparent that I was no longer able to work. I stopped working March 24th of this year and was terminated by my employer on May 2nd. I have had zero income since my last paycheck in April and a pay out from my 403b in May that I used for rent. My daughter has been paying my rent and copays for my meds. I am getting food stamps and General Assistance Medical Program for insurance. I got a letter today saying that I was medically approved for SSI and that I had to make an appointment to see a worker to go over some paperwork before they can start sending me checks.

Well after searching this website it appears that SSI would pay $637/mo and Disability (according to the yearly statement we are sent), I would get around $1,100. SSI wouldn't even cover my rent, let alone utilities.

Ex-spouse Benefits

November 13, 2008 by Guest

My husband was married to his ex-wife for almost 16 years and she passed away recently, he was told about a year ago that since he was married to her for that amount of time he would be able to receive partial benefits from her Social Security. Today when he went down to the Social Security Office a lady told him today that he was not entitled to benefits because he is married to me, but she also told him that if I got more money on my Social Security Benefits than he does it would be possible that he might receive benefits, she called it some name but he doesn't remember what she called it, if you could let us know if he is entitled or not we would appreciate your help. With the cost of food, and other things keep goint higher and higher but our Social Security Benefits just don't keep up with the Cost of Living.



Retirement benefits for a divorced spouse

November 14, 2008 by David Luhman

Your divorced spouse can get benefits on your Social Security record if the marriage lasted at least 10 years. Your divorced spouse must be 62 or older and unmarried.

The amount of benefits he or she gets has no effect on the amount of benefits you or your current spouse can get.

Also, if you and your ex-spouse have been divorced for at least two years and you and your ex-spouse are at least 62, he or she can get benefits even if you are not retired.


December 9, 2008 by Cindy

im trying to locate on how to recieve a copy of my FORM SSA1099-SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFIT STATEMENT for this year, 2008.
i have searched this entire site trying to find out information on
how to obtain a copy. i need a copy for MHMR BENEFITS ASSESTS
in order to continue my services at MENTAL HEALTH MENTAL RETARDATION. id greatly appreciate any kind of information you can pass on to me. thankyou so much for your help

survivor benefits

December 10, 2008 by topper

I have requested 2 times to have handbook mailed to my home address. Never have received. Please advise. Thank you. Mrs. Scott

At What Age Can You File For Social Security

December 10, 2008 by Guest

How do I know when to file for Social Security....65 is always mentioned but I also know that there is a factor used according to what year you were born.

Social Security publications

December 12, 2008 by David Luhman

Please see this page regarding Social Security publication orders :

Full retirement age

December 12, 2008 by David Luhman

Full retirement age (also called "normal retirement age") had been 65 for many years. However, beginning with people born in 1938 or later, that age gradually increases until it reaches 67 for people born after 1959.

Note you can still retire at age 62 -- but with reduced benefits.

See this page for an "full retirement age calculator".

cancel monthly benefits

December 18, 2008 by Guest

can you temporarily stop monthly benefit payments


December 22, 2008 by rhaggerty

I will start collection Social Security benefits in January 2009. How much will I be able to earn without it affecting my check?

deceased spouse

December 29, 2008 by Guest

Hi my husband died in the miliitary 28 years ago and I have never remarried. How do I know at what year I can start drawing benefits. Some have told me it is when Ii am 60 years old. Who do I talk to?

Ex-Spouse caring for son of deceased...

December 31, 2008 by Guest

I have a (9) yr old son, his father passed away in August of 2008. He is getting survivor benefits from his father. I had remarried in October of 2007 and now am getting a divorce, am I eligable for benefits to help take care of my son?

temporary password

January 10, 2009 by Guest

to get permament password. How is it done? please show me tell me help me just do it

Charles M F

UserID / Password

January 10, 2009 by David Luhman

Userids and passwords for can easily be obtained here :

Note that we are not affiliated with the US government agency.

See here for information on accessing the government site :

Error in my date of birth

January 20, 2009 by Guest

Need this corrected to align with my birth certificate, driver's license, employment Documents, Passport etc. What form do I fill out? Thanks

Spouse care for son of deceased

January 25, 2009 by Guest

No, you would have had to remain unmarried. Also, you nullified your rights to benefits as a spouse once you re-marry. Also, you would have had to have either been currently married to your son's father or married at least 10 years to qualify for spousal benefits to begin with.


February 3, 2009 by Guest

will my ss benefit be larger if I retire at 62.5 vs. 62? dave

Increase in retirement benefits with delayed retirement

February 4, 2009 by David Luhman

Yes. It depends on your year of birth, but your monthly retirement benefit will increase by about 0.5 percent for each month in delay of initial receipt of benefits.

See here for details :

Collecting off of my ex-husband

February 13, 2009 by batmom1941

I was recently divorced and was told I could draw off of the husband before him as we had been married 17 yrs.I was only married to the last one 6 yrs.

statement for 2008

February 13, 2009 by Guest

I have missed placed my statement of what I drew last year. Can I get another copy on line or through mail. Thank you, Mary

Social Security Earnings Statement

February 14, 2009 by David Luhman

You can request your Social Security Statement here :

Benefits for a divorced spouse

February 14, 2009 by David Luhman

Yes, this may be possible for retirement benefits depending on your situation.

See here for details :


February 16, 2009 by Guest

My wife passed away last year and her SS benifit was about $920 a mount even when she did not pay into SS. . If I get re married, do I get the same benifit for my future new wife? Stan T

Spousal retirement benefits

February 16, 2009 by David Luhman

Even if a spouse has never worked under Social Security, a spouse can begin collecting the benefits as early as age 62. However, if the benefit begins early, the amount will be permanently reduced by a percentage based on the number of months up to his or her full retirement age.

See here for details :

Can I draw from my living spouse's SSI?

February 18, 2009 by Guest

My husband and I will both be able to draw SSI. I will be able to draw before he does. Can I draw from his which is more until he is old enough?

stimulus package

February 19, 2009 by Guest

will people on social security be getting anything this yr i know last yr we go 300.00 thanks

2009 stimulus payments

February 19, 2009 by David Luhman

President Obama recently signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. This act provides for the one-time payment of $250 to individuals who get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security benefits.

Social Security expects everyone who is entitled to a payment to receive it by late May 2009. No action is required on your part.

See here for details :

divorced spouse

February 21, 2009 by bluemorpha

My ex and I were married 30 years. He is now remarried, I am not. Can I collect from his SS. I am applying for mine this year, but he is not yet collecting (he is 14 months younger and still working). I retired 18 months ago for continuing back problems. I have spinal stenosis, which is a degenerate disease.

Benefits for a divorced spouse

February 23, 2009 by David Luhman

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

  • You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work; and
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

See here for details :

Documents required for divorce

February 23, 2009 by Guest

What documents are required when claiming benefits when divorced (specific do I need his birth certificate?) I took certified proof of my birth, marriage and divorce, was told needed his birth certificate. I was lucky to get away with my life, from abusive husband, now if he has to get a birth certificate for me it could give him an excuse to start that all over again....what are the alteratives??? Jennifer

Documents for benefits from divorced spouse

February 23, 2009 by David Luhman

This relevant publication makes no mention of the requirement for a birth certificate :

Here is a publication which provides guidance for abusive situations that may help :

You also may want to consider filing an appeal :

Benefits from divorced spouse's record

February 25, 2009 by David Luhman

If your former spouse is still living, privacy rules prohibit Social Security from giving you his or her record, so you can't get a spouse's Statement. But we can tell you what benefits you may be entitled to, after they have established your relationship to your ex-spouse.

See here for details :


February 26, 2009 by Guest

I think we who are on social security should get the same as others,
we have worked and paid our taxes, but still we get a lower amont then the rest. we all have needs and could use the money wether to catch up bills or just to spend, we do shop you know. I just think its unfair to us that has worked and paid oue dues.


March 1, 2009 by Guest

Can a spouse collect auxillary benefits off of their husbands SSD benefits?

If so, what is considered the maxium income allowed before that spouse is considered ineligible to receive those benefits??

getting married

March 2, 2009 by Guest

i need to know?? im getting ssdi and the other peron gets ssdi and ssi.. we want to get married, what happens to our social security

Auxiliary benefits

March 2, 2009 by David Luhman

Auxiliary benefits may be payable to other family members on your earnings record if you are entitled to disabled worker's benefits. Excess earnings may affect auxiliary payments. See these links for more information :

Please contact your local Social Security office

March 2, 2009 by David Luhman

This is a rather complex issue. Please see this page for starters :

My ex-husband died Dec. 25th, can I increase my SSI from his?

March 5, 2009 by Guest

My ex-husband died Dec. 25th. can I increase my SSI from his. My only child is with him. I was married to him for 5 years. I have remarried.

SSI benefits and death of ex-spouse

March 7, 2009 by David Luhman

I see no evidence of the chance to increase SSI benefits based on the death of a spouse.

As far as Social Security survivor benefits, in general, you cannot receive survivors benefits if you remarry before the age of 60 unless the latter marriage ends, whether by death, divorce, or annulment.

It may be possible for your unmarried child, if under age 19, to receive survivor benefits based on you ex-spouse's work record.

See here for details :


March 10, 2009 by Guest

I was wondering both me and my husband were married over 10 yrs with first marriage do we get ex,s benefits. how does that work.

Benefits from divorced spouse's record

March 11, 2009 by David Luhman

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

  • You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work; and
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

See here for details :

help with co-pay

March 12, 2009 by she1950

I have been approved for Humira, but can't afford the $500.00 co-pay Would like to know if there is some help for this. I am on ssi and have alot of medicine to buy ,and need some help with this.

SS Spousal Benefits

March 13, 2009 by Guest

My wife turns 62 in June, 2009.
I started receiving SS early at age 62, three years ago.
She's been told that she should apply for SS benefits on my account and leave her account in tact until she can receive full benefits at age 65 plus.
She and I both were in the work force for over 35 years respectively.
This doesn't sound reasonable to me. So I ask you, is this possible and if so approximately how much would she get now and how would that impact on her future application for "full" benefits when she is eligible for same.
We have been married for 45 years and have no other spouses to deal with.

Co-pay for prescriptions

March 13, 2009 by David Luhman

You don't indicate if you receive Medicaid or not. Many states automatically enroll you in Medicaid if you receive SSI.

Here is a link to information on Medicaid co-pays by state which may be of use :

Spousal retirement benefits

March 13, 2009 by David Luhman

You may wish to see this video which advises on a "wife-early-husband-late" strategy when it comes to receiving Social Security retirement benefits.

The SSA's Retirement Estimator may also be useful for this.

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended