Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration
Change name on a Social Security card
How do I change or correct the name on my Social Security card?
To change your name on your Social Security card:
- Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
- Show documents proving:
- Legal name change; and
- Identity; and
- U.S. citizenship (if you have not already established your citizenship with us), or immigration status if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- All documents submitted must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.
- Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. Any document you mail to the SSA will be returned to you.
Information about required documents
You must show a recently issued document as proof of your legal name change. Documents the SSA may accept to prove a legal name change include:
- Marriage document;
- Divorce decree;
- Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name; or
- Court order for a name change.
If the document you provide for a legal name change does not give enough information to identify you or if you legally changed your name more than two years ago, then you also must show two identity documents including:
- One document in your old name; and
- A second document with your new legal name.
In addition to your name, these documents also must contain identifying information or a recent photograph.
If you are a U.S. citizen born outside the United States and SSA records do not show you are a citizen, you will need to provide proof of your U.S. citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, SSA will ask to see your current immigration documents.
The new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.
- What if my name changed?
- How do I get a number and card?
- New Social Security Number or Card for Newborn Baby
- Replace Social Security Card for Child Under 12
- Change Social Security Number
- Replace Social Security Card (Adult)
- What if my card is lost or stolen?
- Obtaining A Social Security Card
- What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?
- How do I replace my lost Social Security card?
- Social Security Numbers
- Replacement SS card with name change
Ads - Also Recommended