Not affiliated with the government
Apply for Social Security disability benefits
How do I apply for disability benefits?
You can start your disability claim immediately. There is no need to wait for an appointment.
Follow these four steps to apply online:
- Review the Adult Disability Checklist for details about what you will need before starting the online process;
- Fill out the online Disability Benefit Application to provide information regarding eligibility for payment;
- Fill out the online Adult Disability Report to provide medical and work history; and
- Fill out, sign, and mail or take the Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration to your local Social Security office.
If you prefer to file in person, you can:
- Call SSA's toll-free telephone number 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday to make an appointment; or
- Visit your local Social Security office.
Ads - Also Recommended