Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

survivor benifits for child after 19 w/disability

My daughter graduates H.S June 2012 at age 19. She has been deaf since birth. Would my daughter be entitled to her fathers benefits after the age of 19. If yes would it be considered survivor benefits or disability benefits.

Updated : August 7, 2011 by Guest

Sponsored Links



Survivor getting married

January 5, 2012 by Guest

I am 31. My mom died when i was 15. I collected survivors benefits until I was 17. then I was pronounced disabled. I have been recieving them ever since. I have heard that if I get married and inform social security that my benifits will be taken away. But here is another catch, my husband is from another country and ineligible to work here. What do I do? What are my options? Thank you.

Marriage and adult disabled as a child (minor)

January 5, 2012 by David Luhman

Please contact Social Security for your particular case.

One thing that's not clear is whether you're receiving SSI or "normal" SSDI. SSI benefits are limited to low income folks with few assets. If you receive SSI, and marry someone with either income or assets, then there's a good chance your SSI benefits will be affected.

However, if you are receiving SSDI, then I am unaware of any provision that would reduce your benefit.

Please contact SSA for this.

re: marriage and adult disabled child

January 6, 2012 by Guest

I am receiving SSDI, and because of limited assets etc, I also receive SSI. However, my SSI is only $18.00, yes eighteen dollars. And my husband does not have assets or an income at this time. Thank you.

Marriage and effect on SSI

January 8, 2012 by David Luhman

Based on your response (no income nor assets for your husband), I do not believe your SSI payment would be reduced.

Again, confirm with the SSA for your specific case.

marriage and effect on SSI

January 9, 2012 by Guest

Thank you.

Widow and rep payee for disabled adult child question

December 12, 2011 by Ilovemylab

I receive widow social security after my husband of 9 years died suddenly. I also am the representative payee for my now 14-year-old son. When does my 14-year-old stop receiving his social security benefit?
I am also representative payee and legal guardian for my disabled adult child (age 22). I am his sole surviving parent (his father, my ex-husband passed away the year before my husband died). My 22-year-old lives in an adult group home near me; I manage his consumer-directed companion care through his Medicaid, pay all his bills, make all decisions for him and have him with me 2 - 4 days per week, as I am very close to him. If his companion does not show up on a scheduled work day, I am the backup. My son has severe autism and requires/enjoys a rigid daily routine, structure which is why he lives in a group home. Will I continue to receive social security as the legal guardian and representative payee of my disabled 22-year-old son as long as I continue as his representative payee and legal guardian?
Thank you.

Survivor benefits for children - end date and disabled child

December 13, 2011 by David Luhman

Survivor benefits are paid to a deceased worker's unmarried children who are younger than age 18 (or up to age 19 if they are attending elementary or secondary school full time).

We are not experts in the area of representative payees, but as long as you fill out the proper paper work and use the funds for the benefit of the disabled adult, I see no reason why you can't continue as the representative payee.

Need to clarify rep payee answer

December 13, 2011 by Ilovemylab

Thank you for your answer. I think I did not ask my question clearly. I currently receive widow's benefits because I am raising our 14-year-old son (his dad/my husband died when our son was 6 years old). My question is, when our now 14-year-old son is no longer receiving his benefits, will I continue to receive mine because I will still be the legal guardian, representative payee, for my 22-year-old disabled son (severe autism) who lives nearby in a group home; I am his sole surviving parent and make all decisions for him; buy all his clothes, hire and manage my son's consumer-directed companion program, go to all drs appts; basically am his sole family member involved his day-to-day life even though he does not live in my home. He is home frequently throughout the week, but does not live here. I hope this clarifies my question. Thank you.

Representative payee for adult disabled son

December 14, 2011 by David Luhman

Yes, as far as the adult disabled son, as long as you continue to fulfill the duties required of a representative payee, I see no reason why you can't continue in that capacity.

. . . continue in that capacity

December 14, 2011 by Ilovemylab

to be clear on your answer, I would continue to receive my widow's social security check and continue to receive my son's social security check as his representative payee; this check goes into his own rep payee account and is used for his needs. So, I would receive 2 checks each month -- 1 to me and 1 to my son who is disabled?

Continuing parental benefits when taking care of an adult son

December 14, 2011 by David Luhman

Yes, that would be my interpretation, but you'll have to verify with the SSA. You should receive benefits as a care giver until your 14-year-old turns 16. As for the adult son, you may continue receiving caregiver benefits depending on the situation.

If you are receiving benefits because you have a child in your care, the date your benefits will stop may be different than the child’s.

If the child is not disabled, your benefits will end when he or she turns 16.

If the child is disabled, your benefits may continue if you exercise parental control and responsibility for a mentally disabled child or perform personal services for a child who is physically disabled. Before the child reaches 16, we will send you a notice describing the conditions under which your benefits may continue.

Survivor benefits after high school for deaf child

August 8, 2011 by David Luhman

I would encourage you to check directly with Social Security regarding this as it may be possible.

As you may know, unless they are disabled, children of deceased, retired or disabled parents do not receive Social Security benefits after reaching age 18, or at the end of the 12th grade, whichever occurs first.

To continue receiving benefits, you child must meet the definition of "disabled". "Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work.

See the following for more information :

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended