Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks |

Qualifying for Social Security Benefits

From the Social Security Handbook

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links



February 18, 2011 by Guestjosie tsikatA (not verified)

I DIDN'T QUALIFY FOR IHSS BECAUSE I FAIL TO SEND THEM (dpss) my last two bank statements. Now they want me to provide that PLUS...a "work letter" from the social security office.
What in the world is that, and what section on the internet will i find that?

Thank you,

Work letter

February 19, 2011 by David Luhman

Sounds like you're seeking assistance with In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) with the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) in California.

In this case, I'm not sure about the meaning of a "work letter".

If you receive Social Security benefits and are looking for proof of your benefits, you can request a Proof of Income Letter here :

my son recieved social

February 20, 2011 by Guest

my son recieved social security from his father up until he got his GED, he took a year off and is now attending college in march. Will he qualify again (he is 19, 20 in may) he is attending for 2 years to get his degree. will he qualify untill he graduates?

Social Security benefits for child in college

February 20, 2011 by David Luhman

I'm not sure what type of benefit your son received (survivor?), but benefits for children in college are generally unavailable.

See this post :

Friend running out of options

March 4, 2011 by Brian (not verified)

A friend of mine lost his job and had been receiving unemployment benefits which will run out.
Problem is, he has a serious illness, which he has not been managing due to lack of insurance....and possibly fear of finding out more.

Can he apply for disability as he has no other income and really no chance to pass any physical.

Another option would be Human Services I suppose. Any suggestions?

Applying for Social Security disability

March 6, 2011 by David Luhman

Depending on the nature of her illness, she should consider applying for SS disability or SSI.

She could also possibly apply for Medicaid :


April 4, 2011 by Guest1972 (not verified)

I am a veteran and receive a 50% disability rating from the VA I have not been able to get a job because if that,. My unemployment is about to run out and I don't know If I apply for SSD will I get less because of my VA benefits?

Social Security disability when on VA disability

April 4, 2011 by David Luhman

I could not find a definitive answer, but it appears that Social Security disability benefits are largely independent of VA disability benefits. In other words, receiving VA disability need not necessarily reduce your Social Security disability benefits.

Please contact the SSA directly to verify for your case.

Military service members can receive expedited processing of disability claims from Social Security. Benefits available through Social Security are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs and require a separate application.

cab you retire at 62 andwork parttime?

April 5, 2011 by james l. (not verified)

can you work parttime after retiring on social security . if so what are the rules?

Retire at 62 and work part-time

April 5, 2011 by David Luhman

Yes, you can begin receiving reduced Social Security retirement benefits at age 62.

However, if you retire before your "full retirement age" then you may face a penalty on earnings above the $14,160 annual exempt amount for 2011. If you are younger than full retirement age during all of 2011, the SSA will deduct $1 from your benefits for each $2 you earned above $14,160.

Mother-Should we apply for IHSS

April 11, 2011 by Butterfly (not verified)

My mother has been ill since I was born she has been recieving Social sec disabilty/and retirement for years...I think she needs to apply for IHSS because I work and she calls on me alot to help her and take her to appointments etc...But it is affecting my work/job. I had the forms sent to her but she is afraid to fill them out because she does not want her corrent benefits affected...Could applying for IHSS affect her SSD/ retirement funds?

IHSS - In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

April 11, 2011 by David Luhman

Sorry, at this moment I'm not too familiar with In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) which appears to be specific to California.

Let me see if I can find out more about this.


April 12, 2011 by AndreaJ (not verified)

My son has ADHD, serve allergis and sinus , and ashtma. He has been having trouble at school with his behavior lately. THe SSI office said that while he has some limitations he is not as bad off as others. I am currently, unempolyed. Should my son qualify for this program if so how?


Applying for SSI for child

April 13, 2011 by David Luhman

Working directly with the SSA will be your first option. If that fails, you can either appeal the ruling yourself and/or work with a third party (lawyer etc.).

Sponsored Links

Ads - Also Recommended