Not affiliated with the government
New Social Security Number or Card for Newborn Baby
In general, you can obtain a Social Security card for a newborn with the assistance of the hospital where the child is born.
The state agency that issues birth certificates will share your child's information with us, and the SSA will mail the Social Security card to you.
If for some reason you can not work with a hospital for this, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Gather documents proving your:
- Child's identity; and
- US citizenship if you have not established the child's US citizenship with the SSA
- Immigration status if the child is not a US citizen.
Step 2: Gather documents proving your:
- Custody/relationship for the child
Step 3: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
Step 4: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.
All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.
The SSA will mail your card as soon as they have verified all required documents. You should receive the card within 10 business days from the date on the receipt. The replacement card will have the same number as the previous card.
The SSA does not charge for a card.
There are third party services which may offer to help with Social Security card. We feel these services are similar to tax filing services. You can "do it yourself" for free or pay a service for assistance. Your choice.
- Replace Social Security Card for Child Under 12
- Replace Social Security Card (Adult)
- Change name on a Social Security card
- Change Social Security Number
- How do I get a number and card?
- How do I replace my lost Social Security card?
- What if my card is lost or stolen?
- How do I get my child a Social Security number?
- Obtaining A Social Security Card
- Replacement SS card with name change
- Replace Medicare Card
- Social Security Card and Number Tips
Ads - Also Recommended